commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Juozas Baliuka" <bali...@mwm.lt>
Subject Re: [DBCP] AbandonedTrace - Connection Recovery
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:15:53 GMT

I do not think it is good idea to maintain any kind of public API for
"abandoned connections", It is garbage,
If application or server is not broken, it doe's not need workarounds.
Workarounds can not help for broken applications any way, it is a useless
stuff and it infects code with "Observers".
As I understand it, people want to move problems from crappy applications to
commons and to blame jakarta, but I think it is better
to use  the rigth way solve problems and a lot of solotions was proposed on
this list too.

> Serge et al,
>
> Further to my suggestion about using the Observer pattern for event
> notification w.r.t. point 4 (below) I forgot to mention that it also has
the
> benefit of offering a compromise in the pro/anti recovery debate.
>
> Existing contentious code designed to reclaim or test connections need not
> be retired as it could still be made available re-factored into a
listener,
> and attached at runtime by the user. Users can use, extend or ignore
DBCP's