commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Juozas Baliuka" <bali...@mwm.lt>
Subject Re: DBCP status?
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:14:09 GMT

> > b) if this threshold is exceeded, you close the connection.  The value
> > of trying to return it to the pool is minimal, while the downside of
> > returning a mid-transaction/statement connection to a pool is very bad
> > and nearly impossible to track down.
>
> DBCP should not close connections that have been borrowed from the pool.
> It should only log a possible error when the configured time limit has
> been exceeded.
>
> > c) support an optional debug step that will create a Throwable when
> > getConnection is called.  Then if the max-active threshold is hit, we
> > can print the stack trace of where the aged connection was grabbed, and
> > in development/testing, quickly resolve the errant connection.
>
> I'm ok with this as long the stack trace isn't logged like an exception.
> It will be confusing for people to see a stack trace that isn't really
> associated with an exception so the message should indicate that it's
> identifying a possible connection leak location.

 I log message if the active-connections = max-connections,
 it helps to configure pools (increase max-connections or decrease
max-threads).

 "finally close" is not any kind of problem, it is in single place per
application, if resource management is well designed.
 It can be usefull for crapy applications only, I do not think we need some
kind of special support for crap in commons.