commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] fileupload 1.0 RC 1 API breakage
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:00:39 GMT
At 7:38 -0500 6/4/03, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>Was this really necessary?  The email below went to both the commons-dev and
>tomcat -dev lists.  If Remy was pointing the finger at anyone, it was at his
>fellow Tomcat Developers.  Thats how I interpreted it.

Martin has been busting his tail trying to get FileUpload released so
that Struts can make a full 1.1 release, and I'm sure he's just a
little frustrated that other projects which have a dependency on the
library aren't participating very much in the bug cleanup, or,
apparently, the commons-dev mailing list where this was discussed
thoroughly before the change happened.  In fact, Martin was reluctant
to remove the deprecated methods completely, and other developers
here on commons-dev pointed out that there is no guarantee of API in
unreleased software.

When I read the message from Remy, I read it as a jab at FileUpload.
And since Martin has basically been a one-man FileUpload team for
several weeks (while being busy in his real life), he took it
personally.  Rereading Remy's message, I can see why Glenn read it as
being "spoken to" the tomcat-dev list, with commons-dev as more of a
'cc'.  But that's not how I read it originally.

I'd think at least one committer on any major open-source project
should be committed to monitoring the status of each library that
project depends on -- if someone had been doing that, this would not
have been a surprise.

Just a bystander...
	Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier