commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [math] Some issues with DoubleArrays
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:47:46 GMT
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > Tim O'Brien wrote:

<snip/>

> > +1 -- it *is* after all an array and if this is not exposed, you are
> > always going to be stuck with using ArrayCopy to get at the underlying
> > data, which makes efficient computation using large arrays impossible.
<snip/>

> I like it too, since I've been in looking at/messing with these classes
> I be glad to make the changes for us and add the static methods to the
> StatUtils.

Sounds good, I'm mostly offline this week.  One note, I like the idea of
keeping the "array copy" function which returns the "trimmed" element
array, if we expose the internal array, the
Javadoc should have some stern warnings for end users - "Warning, this is
a reference to the internal storage array, please use with care... do not
modify the contents of this array..."

> On the topic of StatUtils, what are the opinions about adding the
> following methods from my discussion with the lang group to provide
> alternate primitive implementations? These would be for short, long,
> int, float for now.

I'm +0 on this, I'd be happy with just providing functions for double
primitives, but if you can think of a compelling reason, go for it.

Tim O'Brien
Evanston, IL
(847) 863-7045
tobrien@discursive.com