commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: DBCP status?
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:21:56 GMT
Serge,

I haven't gone through the code too much, so I can't yet comment on your
specifics.  But I've written working connection pools, and since we've the
same needs for the same reasons, I'll sign up to work on it with you.

To provide a means of coordinating our efforts (other than IM and/or
e-mail), it would be good to have Commit access.

Meanwhile, I've checked out a copy.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 13:18
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: DBCP status?

Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> I wouldn't rush to declare DBCP dead.  Database connection pooling is
> not exactly the most revolutionary development area right now: DBCP is
> good at what it does, is being used widely, and I personally am not
> aware of anything that required a DBCP release within the past year.

That's somewhat encouraging about Tomcat using it (or at least mentions
it first).

Since James really does need a new connection pooler, and I'm stuck
having to invest some time into making **some** database pooler more
robust, is the DBCP project open to this?  I'm not sure if there are any
committers remaining, or what exactly is the next step.  Basically I
would make the following changes:

- Allow the pool to optionally close a connection on a SQL exception
(since that will often corrupt the transaction and/or indicate the
connection is boofed).
- Change some default values so it doesn't block indefinitely to open a
connection out of the box.
- Maybe support a connection factory constructor that can take a String
for a driver name, rather than require you to do Class.forName() separately.
- Maybe implement login timeout.
- Maybe implement logging via commons logging so you can catch events
rather than just use a writer.
- Make a formal new release (either 1.1 or 2.0, I don't care), just so
the examples, test code, and javadoc (in distro and website) all have
working examples.

Any feedback on these changes, or people I should talk to before heading
down this road?

--
Serge Knystautas
President