commons-dev mailing list archives

From "David Graham" <dgraham1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [Clazz] names of classes
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:07:45 GMT
>some nitpicking from me (currently trying to write a user guide for me):
>
>why is
>
>     ReflectedPropertyIntrospector
>
>not called
>
>     ReflectionPropertyInspector?
>
>Would be a little bit clearer from my point of view, that objects of this
>class are actively
>doing something.

Introspection is an activity and the word most commonly associated with
discovering a bean's capabilities.

>I do not like the names of ~Support classes. ~Support or ~Helper indicate
>(for me)
>that these are Helper classes with (often static) utility functions. In the
>Java API I think
>I have found the usage of Abstract~ or Base~ much more often for classes

You've missed an important difference between Helper classes and
Base/Abstract classes.  Helper classes allow composition/reuse outside of a
class hierarchy.  Abstract class' methods can only be used by subclasses.

David