commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math] Complex dilemmas
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:17:36 GMT
On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

<snip>

> Given that it will be a fair amount of work to get a numerically sound
> C9x compliant implementation together (what I have now does not implement
> the transcendental functions at all and does not comply fully with C9x),
> I propose that we drop this from our goals for initial release.  If
> people really want direct support for complex numbers, we can bring them
> in to a subsequent release.

(i wrote a basic complex numbers library (just for kicks) a few years ago
and i also ran into design issues.) your plan seems like a good one. later,
  we might create a sub-package for complex number and dump the stuff you
have into it (so that everyone can discuss it) but exclude it from
releases.

- robert