commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math] matters of copyright
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:31:46 GMT
On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 09:03 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

<snip>

>> what i had in mind was people with knowledge of existing algorithms (like
>> Al Chou and David Neuer) keeping an eye on the source and alerting us to
>> anything that seems too similar to existing implementations. IMHO what
>> would be ideal would be for volunteers to check our implementations
>> against the most common copyrighted implementations to make sure they are
>> not strikingly similar.
>>
> OK. I get it.  It may be difficult, however, to decide what qualifies as
> "strikingly similar" and when we need to worry. I guess we will cross that
> bridge when we come to it and hopefully it won't be too big of a
> distraction.

IMHO what matters most is that we're making an effort. so long as we give
ourselves a chance to catch submissions which are obvious copies and make
sure that developers are well informed about what is expected, then peer
pressure will go a long way. i'm not sure many developers are likely to
submit blatant rip-offs of existing implementations if they know that
people are watching.

> Hopefully as well, our reviewers (and ourselves) will also be verifying
> correctness and stability -- making the whole thing a value-added
> activity :-)

+1

- robert