commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: DBCP status?
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:08:21 GMT

Howdy,

>Yes, but that doubles the # of SQL statements.  And I actually have
>probably no more than 8 SQL statements in total (all prepared), so the
>issue is not the SQL but the connection.

Is there another way to check that a connection is bad, other than a
validation query?  AFAIK this is the standard way, and the above
argument that using validation queries doubles the number of SQL
statement doesn't matter that much.  Validation queries are supposed to
be quick, small, etc.

>Do you know of anything else in Apache that could handle this?  Anybody
>know what Tomcat is using at this point?

Tomcat doesn't have built-in connection pooling, but a mechanism for
users to plug in their own.  Many people use DBCP, and tomcat provides a
HOW-TO:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples
-howto.html

I wouldn't rush to declare DBCP dead.  Database connection pooling is
not exactly the most revolutionary development area right now: DBCP is
good at what it does, is being used widely, and I personally am not
aware of anything that required a DBCP release within the past year.

Yoav Shapira