commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Logging packaging questions
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:50:44 GMT

Howdy,

>+1, we should recognize someone who spent hours on tomcat-users list
and
>who know that a 10 minutes developper fix, could produce days and days
>of question on user lists.

While I don't have nearly Craig's tenure, nor nearly as many
contributions to the code, I spend a lot of time on both the tomcat-user
and log4j-user mailing list, answering people's question.  I firmly
believe making commons-logging any more than what it's intended to be, a
thin abstraction layer that can automatically detect the present
implementation and use it, will lead to many many more user problems and
issues than we see today (and we see enough today).

Strong +1 to what Craig said, strong -1 to separate
commons-logging-[log4j | jdk14 | whatever] implementation jars.

As an aside, we used to have a similar jar versioning system to what
someone else is using (one big directory with jars, symlinks to these
jars from webapps' WEB-INF/lib directories), and we junked it in favor
of WAR distributions.  In a heterogeneous server environment like ours,
the self-contained, portable WAR distribution is king (or queen?  I
guess distribution is female..)

Yoav Shapira