commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math] matters of copyright
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:55:01 GMT
On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 01:26 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> the second is that we're going to need to audit our implementations
>> against copyrighted ones. (i'm hoping that some better qualified folks
>> might volunteer for this.) if we find any that are too similar, then we
>> should use apache development resources to create fresh clean room
>> implementations.
>
> I don't understand exactly what you mean here.  It might be difficult to
> find people with the combined legal and math skills to "audit" the code
> for copyright infringement. What did you have in mind here?

i'm not sure that legal skills are actually necessary. i have a couple of
reasons for this:

1. once we've worked out collectively what we think is right, one of the
committers will contact the ASF legal team and ask them to check that what
we intend to do will offer sufficient protection to everyone.

2. it's not possible to have absolute protection against litigation on the
wide world of the world wide web (are there any lawyers who know the law
in every jurisdiction?). usually, acting responsibly and with due care is
usually good enough.

what i had in mind was people with knowledge of existing algorithms (like
Al Chou and David Neuer) keeping an eye on the source and alerting us to
anything that seems too similar to existing implementations. IMHO what
would be ideal would be for volunteers to check our implementations
against the most common copyrighted implementations to make sure they are
not strikingly similar.

- robert