commons-dev mailing list archives

From Anton Tagunov <atagu...@mail.cnt.ru>
Subject Re[2]: DBCP status?
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:14:50 GMT
Hello Ken!

There have been very strongly argumented opinions
that the pool should do nothing of the sort, but
I'd like to go to the bottom of discussing other
alternatives too.

KH> * emulates a legal timeout from the database server

I have been stricken with the beauty of approach
you have proposed, indeed its nice to emulate
a server timeout :-))

I still have one reservation: its synchronization.
Does this proposition mean that we have to make
all the normal operations on the connections
synchronized?

I'm afraid something nasty may happen if while
the user is executing a lengthy query another
thread close()-s the connection.

(I'm not concerned that we shall kill legitimate
client operation - after all the client should
have specified a longer timeout then, I'm concerned
that we may upset the driver or something.)

Another synchronization issue is that theoretically
w/o a synchronization the fact that we have
called close() on the connection is not guaranteed
to be propagated to the other thread that is probably
holding the connection. Unless the db driver does
synchronization somewhere underneath of course.

What do you think of this synchronization overhead?
Negligible?

- Anton