commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math] Remove mode, remove some methods from StatUtils
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:03:03 GMT
On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 12:14 AM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:

<snip>

>> As for skewness and
>> kurtosis, my opinion remains that they are little used in the real world
>> (and
>> are thus causing undue debate within the project and wasting time and
>> energy). No one has commented on that remark, as far as I can remember.

<snip>

> All I can say as a developer on this project is, I use them, I enjoy
> working on them, (they are moments as natural as mean and variance and
> they natural incusions into descriptive statistics). I've worked hard on
> their development, and I'd really like them to stay part of the package.

+1

an approach which has proved useful in the past with unreleased code of
this kind is to keep features which have been developed in the code base
as long as possible. it's much easy to make decisions about scope (what's
in and what isn't) for a particular release in the immediate run up. (the
only downside about this approach is that is really annoys  authors with
books in preparation...)

- robert