commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [math] matters of copyright
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 21:58:08 GMT
hi tim

let me begin by saying that i think you did the right thing and handled
things pretty well.  i hope that brent will appreciate that commons-math
is still just ramping up and we're probably going to have to discuss and
sort things out a lot more during this stage.

there is a list which committers can post questions like this (licensing@a
pache.org) but i would suggest that we take a little time to formulate the
right question. we would probably be better advised to have a general
policy we can check (maybe using this specific as an example) rather than
asking every time this question comes up. we can then make sure that
developers understand and follow this policy.

what follows is all IMHO and with the usual disclaimer about me not being
a lawyer.

i've taken a quick look at the reference (to numeric recipes) given and
the intention seems pretty clear. the numeric recipes book is a manual for
commercially licensed software. no derivative works of implementations
found there can be be created without infringing their copyright. that is
very clear.

i guess that providing anything about translations to other languages
would be difficult but i still think that it's very dubious ethically to
create ports from the code found in that book. i would not support the
addition of any code ported from the code found there.

it seems to me that brent is assuring us that he went back to the
mathematical basis of the algorithm and started from that. a clean
implementation based on the mathematics should not infringe the copyright
nor is it ethically dubious (providing that the correct credits for the
original mathematics are provided if that's possible). what we need to
think about is how we can demonstrate this to everybody's satisfaction.
the openness of the ASF is one of it's great strengths and there should be
some way we can show the right way to develop new implementations. (of
course, we need to work out what that is first ;)

i believe that providing new implementation from the basic mathematics is
what commons-math should do. there is no real reason why we should start
from existing code. if we can't, then maybe that's a sign that we're
moving away from our aims.

commons-maths needs to develop it's own niche somewhere between the
academic and the commercial worlds. i'm very happy that people are talking
to the ACM and COLT but any progress in those directions would IMHO
probably mean thinking about something larger (maybe a commons.apache.org
subproject so that people could think about porting to other languages).

- robert