commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jandalf <jsde...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] Commons-URI or not?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:06:03 GMT
The Guidelines of the commons charter has some guidance here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

   1. The primary unit of reuse and release is the package.
   2. The package library is not a framework but a collection of
      components designed to be used independently.
   3. Each package must have a clearly defined purpose, scope, and API
      -- Do one thing well, and keep your contracts.
   4. ...

HttpClient is generally concerned with URLs but URIs are useful beyond
HttpClient.  URIs are well documented with relevent RFCs.  I think that
a seperate RFC conforming URI package would be an excellent addition to
Jakarta.

A project of this nature should copy the current code from httpclient
and start a sandbox project.  Development should continue there untill
development has been proven and a formal commons project proposal can be
made.

Likely the developers would want to seek HttpClient as a key user of the
new package, but this does not mandate that HttpClient will use the new
package.  Nor does it require that a jar dependancy be added (re-use can
be achieved in multiple ways) but the new codebase could be re-used in
other ways if that was deemed preferable.

I would support having a seperate URI package.  From my perspective the
possible benefits are clear and the possible drawbacks are avoidable.

Jandalf.