commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Johnson" <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] Commons-URI or not?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:38:44 GMT
It would seem that most if not all of the responses from the HttpClient
crew responded only to the HttpClient list, and not to commons dev.  So
I'm not sure that all that might need/want to see the entirely negative
feedback have seen it.  I don't subscribe to commons-dev, so if this
doesn't get through, would someone mind reposting it there?

I too am against a separate URI commons package, at least for the moment.

In any event, who else depends on a URI class?  At the moment, there are
three obvious sources for URI type functionality that I am aware of:
HttpClient, Slide, and JRE 1.4.  Slide, rather than using what is in
HttpClient, is using its own, even though Slide includes HttpClient in
its build dependencies.  Without anyone even sharing the code in the
first place, it doesn't seem like a good candidate for a separate project.

One of the negatives that others have mentioned on the HttpClient list
is the growing dependency problem within the Apache projects,
particularly with the myriad of dependencies on commons projects, and
among the commons projects themselves.  Perhaps what we need to do is
start clumping some of the commons projects together, as well as having
the stand-alone pieces we have now.  A first cut at combining some of
the commons projects into one giant JAR might include:

    * beanutil
    * cli
    * codec
    * collections
    * dbcp
    * fileupload
    * httpclient
    * lang
    * logging
    * net
    * pool

My criteria for the above list were three-fold - base requirement of JRE
1.2 or later, that the project should have an official blessed release,
and that it shouldn't depend on any outside libraries - like an XML
parser - at runtime.  And I'll admit that I'm fudging on HttpClient (and
file upload) a little, in that I don't think anyone following HttpClient
would want to include the 1.0 release, but I'm guessing that by the time
such a project is agreed upon and pulled together, HttpClient 2.0 will
be final....  At least here's to hoping.

Anyway, to the extent that a separate URI package would make sense, if
we had a model such as the above, where most people used the one giant
JAR instead of the individual ones, the creation of a separate commons
URI project would be largely one of focus and interest, rather than an
additional dependency quagmire.

-Eric Johnson