commons-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: DBCP status?
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:18:29 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> I wouldn't rush to declare DBCP dead.  Database connection pooling is
> not exactly the most revolutionary development area right now: DBCP is
> good at what it does, is being used widely, and I personally am not
> aware of anything that required a DBCP release within the past year.

That's somewhat encouraging about Tomcat using it (or at least mentions
it first).

Since James really does need a new connection pooler, and I'm stuck
having to invest some time into making **some** database pooler more
robust, is the DBCP project open to this?  I'm not sure if there are any
committers remaining, or what exactly is the next step.  Basically I
would make the following changes:

- Allow the pool to optionally close a connection on a SQL exception
(since that will often corrupt the transaction and/or indicate the
connection is boofed).
- Change some default values so it doesn't block indefinitely to open a
connection out of the box.
- Maybe support a connection factory constructor that can take a String
for a driver name, rather than require you to do Class.forName() separately.
- Maybe implement login timeout.
- Maybe implement logging via commons logging so you can catch events
rather than just use a writer.
- Make a formal new release (either 1.1 or 2.0, I don't care), just so
the examples, test code, and javadoc (in distro and website) all have
working examples.

Any feedback on these changes, or people I should talk to before heading
down this road?

--
Serge Knystautas
President