commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <>
Subject [math] Tasks remaining for initial release
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:44:46 GMT
Here are the remaining open tasks. I think we are getting close to the
time when we can develop a release plan. I will submit a patch to
Bugzilla updating tasks.xml, but I wanted to post the open tasks and my
own short term plan.

* RealMatrixImpl is missing one method implementation -- getRank(). The
most accurate way to implement this would be to add Singular Value
Decomposition and use this to compute effective numerical rank. If
someone wants to volunteer to do this, we can leave this in; otherwise I
suggest dropping the rank computation from the interface.

* Write the User's guide.  Now that the package structure is in place, I
suggest that we structure the guide following the subpackages.  I have
started on the random and stat sections. I will submit a patch with the
overview and all sections stubbed out tomorrow AM. I will work on
sections in the following order: random, stat, linear, analysis,
special, util, posting patches as I have drafts.  If anyone else wants
to start on any of these, please post patches/plans.  One sort of dodgy
issue related to this is the "MathML dilemma".  So far, I have been able
to avoid the need for real math notation by using extra words, etc; but
this is going to be a pain.  I would like to either just use MathML
(forcing users to download the free plugin if their browser does not
support it) or use LaTex and the maven tex plugin (have not tried this,
but it is advertised) or just generate pdf from the LaTex.  In either
case, I think that it is essential that we keep the source text in plain
  ASCII in CVS.  The MathML approach is best, IMHO, because it just
amounts to additional markup in the xdocs.

* Rootfinding framework.  We need to get this rectified or just decide
to stay with the simple solution in place now. My vote would be to
rectify J's framework.

* Interpolation.  Al is working on cubic spline interpolation. Right?

* Extend distribution framework to support discrete distributions and
implement binomial and hypergeometric distributions.  Volunteers?  I
will do this if no one else wants to; but I will wait until the end of
next week to start.

* Continued work on javadoc, checkstyle, and test coverage.  We need to
look at test data coverage as well as path coverage.  In some cases, we
have good path coverage, but we have not tested all of the data boundary
conditions.  A good example is the problem that Al pointed out re:
RealMatrixImpl dimension verification.

* Additional performance and accuracy testing. If anyone is interested
in helping out here, what we could really use is a wider selection of
test cases for the core numerical functions and validation against
either other packages (e.g. R for the statistical stuff), verified
datasets, or experiments comparing implementions using floats to doubles.

* Additional code review. I am planning to review the current state of
all of the code to verify that the code matches the documentation and to
identify obvious inefficiencies or numerical problems.  It would be a
good idea for others to do the same. All feedback/suggestions for
improvement are welcome -- especially if accompanied by patches :-)

* Finalize the contents of MathUtils and StatUtils. Now would be a good
time to suggest any additions -- again, ideally with patches --  to
these utility classes.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message