commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Remove mode, remove some methods from StatUtils
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:14:26 GMT
Al Chou wrote:

>>Ok, I'm always going to be a little touchy about Skew and Kurt, their
>>kinda like my first born children.
>>

>We really should look at whether the functionality we are providing is useful
>to our audience and base our decisions heavily on that.  I understand your
>sentiment, but what it should boil down to is, "Is this feature providing
>value?"  For instance, now that I have backed off on submitting a Ridders'
>method root finder, I no longer have an explicit use case for MathUtils.sign(),
>and it could be argued that this method should be removed.

[sigh] I feel the debate should be more about where to put things we
have already worked hard to create. rather than to eliminate them to
make a release. If you intend to implement Riddlers later after release
rather than before, it would be wise to keep sign around.

My time and efforts are focused into the features I want to see
available in the statistics library (and the features I *enjoy* working
on), others do the same and the library grows in functionality. Be very
carefull about taking away the things that other developers on the
project are working with great interest on.

>As for skewness and
>kurtosis, my opinion remains that they are little used in the real world (and
>are thus causing undue debate within the project and wasting time and energy).
>No one has commented on that remark, as far as I can remember.
>

>Al

All I can say as a developer on this project is, I use them, I enjoy
working on them, (they are moments as natural as mean and variance and
they natural incusions into descriptive statistics). I've worked hard on
their development, and I'd really like them to stay part of the package.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer