commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <>
Subject Re: [math] design patterns (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:34:33 GMT

> I keep reminding myself, we are the developers, there is always room for
> refactoring in the future. If there becomes a clear hindrance with the
> use of static methods, then we can refactor them into a class that needs
> to be instantiated. This is not too difficult to accomplish.
Not for us, maybe, but it could be a real pain for the users who have
written code using the static methods directly. We also need to keep
reminding ourselves that what we are developing is a library for others
to use.  Refactoring public interfaces post release is a slow and
painful process. Given that MathUtils and StatUtils are going to be
public, we need to be committed to supporting the static methods that
they will expose.  I am personally OK with this, as long as we limit the
scope to relatively trivial computational methods.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message