commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [math] junit and ant build
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:39:29 GMT
I've always been using Eclipse/Ant to build the project. In which case
JUnit is already present on the classpath for Ant (Either that or adding
it was just so damn simple I forgot I did it). I was just testing Ant
outside of Eclipse from the command line and I noticed that it fails
because junit isn't installed in the same directory as ant-optional.jar.
This is something I can easily fix by placing a junit.jar in the
ANT_HOME/lib directory, but....

This seems wierd that it is always the case that the ant build won't
work the first time through. The maven generated build downloads that
junit jar, but because the way Maven generates the build.xml, it doesn't
generate a new classpath and use a taskdef to define the junit task with
the new classpath info to effectively run the junit task. It seems
logical that if JUnits going to be automatically download as a
dependency, the Ant script should be setup properly to use it. I though
to myself, maybe it was shortsighted of Maven to not do this in the
generated build.xml.

Should we expect anyone who wants to build the project to properly setup
JUnit in Ant before hand? Or should we try to find a way to get the
"downloaded" junit into the classpath for the junit task? We have to be
carefull here because we're using  Maven to generate the build.xml, this
limits me from just going in and directly changing it because it'll just
get overwritten later when the build.xml is updated by maven.

-Mark