commons-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <>
Subject Re: [math] proposed ordering for task list, scope of initial release
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:04:54 GMT
Al Chou wrote:
> Having to instantiate an instance of the solver class seemed unnecessary.

Well, I imagined somewhat more expensive consistency checks if
accuracy was changed.
Actually there are three accuracies potentially interesting for
root finders:
- the absolute accuracy for the root
- the relative accuracy of the root
- an upper bound on what counts as "f(x) is zero"

> You'd have to
> RootFinding.setAccuracy() ;
> between calls to different function/solver bound pairs

This can cause headaches in multithreadedd environments.
Static variables should not be used to hold state, and the
accuracy becomes a state variable this way.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message