commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [MATH] Re: Incubator (Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz)
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:15:32 GMT
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>>Tim,
>>
>>On 10 Jun 2003 16:17:11 -0500
>>"Tim O'Brien" <tobrien@discursive.com> wrote:
>>

>>>If we wanted to say.... move commons-math to the incubator, then I think
>>>it would be easier to expand the community, but that community would be
>>>external to the existing community here.  Keeping commons-math in the
>>>sandbox increases some of the hurdles, but in the end it will benefit
>>>the community as a whole.
>>
>>I think it is a great idea "commons-sandbox-math to incubator", IMHO.
>>
>>Well, now "math" is one of the subprojects in commons-sandbox,
>>so the community would have come to be small, living in obscurity
>>and thus not attract the potential developers, as a result.
>>If move it to Incubator and add link to the project directly
>>from the top page of jakarta (as I've done a few days ago) properly,
>>many folks might be attracted as a whole.
>>Then, when the community in Incubator will have grown up enough,
>>come back to commons and separate the dev list (like httpclient).
>>
>>It might be one of the possibilities, Tim.
>>(But, maybe you have to consider the re-creation of the whole site
>>of math, because Incubator folks do like the forrest ;-)
>>
>>The fact "most of the code contributions have been driven by
>>non-committers" showed the possibities these described above.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Hello Tetsuya,

I guess my concern is that [math] is primarily being built by individual
contributors and not one specific group, its not one big code donation,
Which is what I took the Incubator charter to mean by

"the Apache Incubator PMC be and hereby is responsible for the
acceptance and oversight of new products submitted or proposed to become
part of the Foundation".

Am I right/wrong?

thanks for the "cross pollination",
Mark