commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math] proposed ordering for task list, scope of initial release
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:57:54 GMT
Brent Worden wrote:

> [...]

Works like a champ ;-)  I am having fun with these. I am thinking about
publishing some critical value tables with the apache liscense. he he.

> I would prefer using J's object approach to the static
> method any day, if for no reason then because of the inflexibility of static
> methods.  They can't be overriden, they can't hold on to any state (a nice
> feature in J's work), they can't be subclassed, ..

This is an important point.  Despite my recent advocacy for a small set
of static "util" methods, I strongly agree that we should never
implement complex algorithms in static methods and we should in general
   avoid statics for the reasons that you give above.
.

> That being said, any design can be approved on (sorry J, even yours), but
> the flavor of the object approach is, IMO, more agreeable than the static
> method approach.  It also is inline with the direction most of the library
> is beginning to take; complex algorithms encapsulated in strategy type
> objects which are interchangeable through a common interface.

I agree.  It would be nice to get J's framework in and refactor your
Dist stuff to use it.  I would be OK with just including Bisection and
Secant as initial implementations.  Other implementations could be added
by us or users later.

Phil