commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math] proposed ordering for task list, scope of initial release
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:19:14 GMT
Brent Worden wrote:
> [...]

Now I get it.  But I am not comfortable with the scope. I could see this
defined for RootFinding or Distributions, etc, but not in general.  In
general, the constant would have no meaning (to me, at least).  I would
prefer to let individual implementations define their own defaults
(specified in the javadoc of course) and allow users to override.  A
single default "max iterations" for both rootfinding and, e.g. numerical
integration, makes no sense.  Better to have the defaults scoped at the
algorithm/implementation level.