commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:35:35 GMT
Robert,

Your viewpoint is warranted and understandable, the motivation for the
sandbox is to provide a means to refactor existing projects/fragments
into better designed components, As such its fair to see its activity
oriented to existing developers. I know I was voted in for both my
interest in the Math component project and the past work I've done with
Jelly and HttpClient.

But IMHO, this is a unique case that should be reconsidered. Consider
the following: a non-commiter reviews a project in the Commons, sees
that there are avenues for enhancment or refactoring, and proposes a
project to consolidate/enhance those features. This proposal is approved
and a new sandbox project is born.  Because the one who proposed the
project is not already a commiter, their efforts are diminished during
the projects initial development. Thus "limiting" the projects
productivity and future development.

I don't believe math started as an independent project, math is the
foster child of the lang project, based on decisions about enhancing and
giving a home to the math features that are present there. As such,
there is a grey area here.  As Phil's basis for proposing was on code in
[lang] it possibly seems the responsibility for nominating commit rights
falls on the shoulders of that original commons component [lang]. This
is based on the discussions about placing math tools in lang that gave
rise to the sandbox math development.

Finally, To clarify, my specific reasons for nomination concern the fact
that a large amount of "energy pushing this component forwards" is
coming from Phil, being he initially proposed the project, isn't it
unfair to exclude him from being a member of the team that brings it to
maturity?

Long live Jakarta-Commons,
Mark Diggory