commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] [OT]UnivariateImpl - when sumsq ~ xbar*xbar*((double) n)
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:32:49 GMT
Al Chou wrote:

>>>OK, I hope the article we want is available online, given that it's pretty
>>>old.
>>>

>>Strangely, it's actually the recent stuff that is not available.  JSTOR has
>>American Statistician from 1947-1997.  If you want a chuckle, have a look at
>>http://www.jstor.org/about/movingwall.html, which explains the rationale for
>>this.
>>

>It's all about money, eh?  Well, as long as we have access to what we need,
>that's fine.  Incidentally, I'm much more accustomed to seeing online editions
>directly from the publisher, which explains why I expected only issues more
>recent than some date to be available.
>

>Al

Yes, the deal is that JStor would undercut the publishers profits from
printing if they exposed an article too soon. JStor isn't a "publisher",
just a "digital library". Its the publishers choice to provide access
online to the article, if they decide not to release it online, its to
promote subscriptions to the printed copies.

IMHO, in cases where we can't find references to content that is
publicly available, we should feel ok about referencing a
"semi-protected" source like a journal article as long as its abstract
is public and its content is accessible at educational institutions.
-M.