commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject [math] maven magic and build.xml -- how to get ant build working again
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:14:56 GMT
Our ant build (and hence nightly) is currently broken, since we have
added dependencies on commons-beanutils, bringing along collections and
logging.  I personally have moved to maven entirely, but I thought we
had agreed early on that we would maintain the ability to build from
ant.  Also, Craig pointed out that if we want nightly builds, we need to
have a working build.xml.

I see two ways to handle this:

1. Run maven ant:generate-build and replace build.xml with the result.

This will add a get-deps target telling ant to grab the jars from
ibiblio.org -- e.g.,

<get dest="${libdir}/commons-beanutils-1.5.jar" usetimestamp="true"
ignoreerrors="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-beanutils/jars/commons-beanutils-1.5.jar">
</get>

This works for me from the command line; but something tells me the
nightly build might not like it and I have no idea whether or not the
whole script has some hidden dependencies on maven.

2. Modify build.xml and build.properties.sample to include
commons-lib.home, commons-beanutils.jar, commons-logging.jar and
commons-collections.jar properties and expect the user (or bot) to fill
these in, grab the jars and put them in the specified directories.

The advantage of 1. is that it guarantees that builds from maven and ant
use the same jars.  The advantage of 2 is that build.xml is simpler and
more standard.

What are other maven-based projects doing to handle this?

Phil