commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: [SURVEY] Commons-csv or not?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:23:09 GMT
You can also use JDBC with a CSV driver.

A quick google shows: http://csvjdbc.sourceforge.net/, which is read-only,
but a start. If you want to write to the file as well, why not enhance this
existing driver instead of reinventing the wheel? I can only imagine that a
non-JDBC approach, while lighter-weight (depending on the driver), could
lead to the following scenarion: The CSV code is used, then another format
is supported, and refactoring after refactoring leads to the creation to a
JDBC clone. Obviously, which kind of CSV support to use is a personal or
company choice made on a case by case basis. I just wanted to point out the
JDBC POV at the risk of pointing out the obvious.

If you are bound to Windows, you can use the JDBC:ODBC bridge and use ODBC's
CSV driver which is fairly full features from what I remember.

Please consider this constructive criticism and not a "why would you ever
want to do THAT?" post ;-)

Cheers,

Gary

At 1:33 PM -0400 6/25/03, Henri Yandell wrote:
>I've also got this style of code in my GenJavaCore library
>[http://www.generationjava.com/projects/GenJavaCore.shtml], so am happy
>to donate etc into it.
>
>Would it be best placed as a Csv project, as a part of Poi, as a part
>of Codec or as a part of IO?
>
>In my version, I went with the Reader/Writer metaphor, and more in the
>way of interface methods.

A CSV project seems a bit too narrowly focused.  I have some
potentially complementary code that produces objects from lines in a
delimited (or fixed-length) data file, using beanutils to populate
the objects.  It could use a bit more work, but I'd help fit it in
with some other project if one started up.

I guess I'd think it belongs in IO, of all the choices Henri
suggested.  In a sense you could associate it with Digester, but
that's probably not really the best place for it.

Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier