commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: DBCP status?
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:09:33 GMT
--- "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> I hope that you have not gotten the impression that I am arguing with
> you.

Nope, I was just stating my point of view :-).  I will continue to argue
against recovering connections until someone can make a solid case that
persuades me otherwise.  Here are the main problems:

1.  Pools should not grab resources back from applications.
2.  Even if pools were allowed to do that, there is no algorithm for doing
so in a reasonable manner.
3.  There seem to be no reasons other than laziness or fear for wanting
the pool to reclaim connections.

I am open to designing DBCP in such a way that allows people to plugin the
behaviors they need including reclaming connections (the Strategy pattern
may be useful here).  However, DBCP should never provide that
functionality out of the box because it implies that Jakarta supports poor
programming practices.

I believe debate is a great way of coming to a solution.  Thanks for
participating in this one.

David