commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: DBCP status?
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:18:36 GMT
--- Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldhoff@apache.org> wrote:
> The code was buggy and added complexity both in and out of the
> AbandonedConnectionPool.
>
> Some would argue that recovering from programmer error is not an
> appropriate role for a component like DBCP, and for what it's worth, I
> think I'm probably one of those.
>
> That said, I think changing dbcp/pool to be more compositional and less
> extend-to-customize-oriented would be a good move all around, and should
> make it possible to add abandoned object recovery (or abandoned object
> logging, or a host of other things) as a decorator--which should make it
> orthogonal to the other implementations/concerns.

Recovering lost connections whether implemented with a class hierarchy or
composition is an extremely bad idea.  If DBCP is designed to allow
pluggable behaviors in general and someone decides to implement connection
recovery for their application, that's their problem.  We shouldn't be
promoting poor practices by supporting connection recovery directly from
DBCP.

David