commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee / Purple Technology <g...@stinky.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Pre 2.0 checks
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:59:52 GMT
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:43:33AM +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> TODO
> 1) StringUtils.unescape(String) - this is merely forwarding to
> StringEscapeUtils and should surely be deprecated?

So does StringUtils.escape.  Should that be deprecated as well?

For the record, there's an argument to be made that they should *not*
be deprecated.  Since StringUtils has to do with Java strings,
StringUtils.escape/unescape does *Java* escaping.  OTOH,
StringEscapeUtils has named methods for several types of escaping,
including HTML, XML, Java, JavaScript, and SQL.

Just because it delegates does not mean it should be deprecated.

Note that I'm not convinced of this argument, but I wanted to raise
it.

 - A

--
Alex Chaffee                               mailto:alex@jguru.com