commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] Commons-csv or not?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:44:24 GMT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ford, Mark wrote:

> I have some code and test case for parsing comma-separated-values including
> support for escaped quotes and escaped commas as generated by Excel (don't
> know if there's an official spec or not).
>
> I use it in production code for things like importing data into a database
> but the biggest use I've found is in building test cases for db related
> code. I use it to create mock resultsets (using the mock objects jar) and
> pre-populate them with data for my test cases.
>
> The interface is really simple:
>
> CSVParser.parse(String aLine, List aListToAppendTo);
>
> Any interest for the commons project? Perhaps a new project or perhaps
> folded into some existing project? I'm new here so I don't really know where
> to start. Sorry if this is off-topic or if there's a FAQ somewhere I missed!

This doesn't sound like something that would have a life of its own as an
independent component, but I think it could be valuable as part of some
other component. The commons-codec component springs to mind, since it has
an eclectic mix of functionality that could include CSV. However, I'm not
involved with codec, so I'll leave that decision for those who are. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper