commons-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VFS] Add close() method to FileSystemManager
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:39:16 GMT
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:08 am, Morten Primdahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what the rationale behind not having the close()
> method on the interface is? The DefaulFileSystemManager has
> the implementation of this method, and it would make working
> with VFS.getManager() a little nicer.

Yep, it would.  The rationale is that currently FileSystemManager is pretty
much read only.  You can look files up, and create new file systems, but you
can't change the fs manager itself (which is what close() would do) - not via
the interface, at any rate.  I've been avoiding adding methods like this to
FileSystemManager, and have been planning on adding a separate
management/configuration interface where things like close() would go.

> What's the status on this project BTW? I've noticed patches
> submitted here, but they didn't make it to the CVS. Are efforts
> slowing down or?

Efforts have been pretty slow for the past few months.  I'm hoping to change
that soon ...

--
Adam