commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Univariate / StoreUnivariate interface cleanup
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:08:38 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I think its always wise now to consult before making interface changes.
>   I'd like to make a couple cleanup changes in the Univariate and
> StoreUnivariate Interfaces:

Thanks for consulting!

> (1) I don't think we really need getProduct in the Univariate interface
> (unless we want it to be public and available to users like getSum and
> getSumSq, which is another questionable method).
>
>      /**
>       * Returns the product of the available values
>       * @return The product or Double.NaN if no values have been added.
>       */
>      abstract double getProduct();
>
> As getProduct is no longer used for geomean, now sumLog is used and
> might be a more appropriate method to place in the interface.

+1 for removing getProduct
-1 for providing getSumLog
Let's let users ask us for a product getter.  I can't easily think of a common
use case.  Not sure about getSumSq, either.  It'll be interesting and
educational to see what users want to and will try to do with this library.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou