commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <>
Subject Re: [math] Univariate / StoreUnivariate interface cleanup
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:08:38 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <> wrote:
> I think its always wise now to consult before making interface changes.
>   I'd like to make a couple cleanup changes in the Univariate and
> StoreUnivariate Interfaces:

Thanks for consulting!

> (1) I don't think we really need getProduct in the Univariate interface
> (unless we want it to be public and available to users like getSum and
> getSumSq, which is another questionable method).
>      /**
>       * Returns the product of the available values
>       * @return The product or Double.NaN if no values have been added.
>       */
>      abstract double getProduct();
> As getProduct is no longer used for geomean, now sumLog is used and
> might be a more appropriate method to place in the interface.

+1 for removing getProduct
-1 for providing getSumLog
Let's let users ask us for a product getter.  I can't easily think of a common
use case.  Not sure about getSumSq, either.  It'll be interesting and
educational to see what users want to and will try to do with this library.

Albert Davidson Chou

    Get answers to Mac questions at .

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail: