commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <>
Subject Re: [math] design patterns (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:14:29 GMT
--- Phil Steitz <> wrote:
> --- Al Chou <> wrote:
> > I would prefer that
> > commons-math be easy for users to use than for it to stick closely to
> typical
> > Java designs just for the sake of staying Java-ish.
> I agree; but actually sticking to "Java-ish" design patterns makes it easier
> to use for Java developers.

Yes, I had thought of that.  But I think there may be occasions when we can
provide an easier to understand (and hence use) design than the standard "Java
way" (thinking of the I/O or JTree classes here as not the most obvious to
use), and we should keep an open mind to that possibility.

> If I understand what you are saying, this is not possible in Java, at least
> not
> using the same class.  It is certainly possible to have one class expose a
> static method with the same name, signature and semantics that another class
> uses for an instance method.  For example, we could have UnivariateImpl
> expose
> an instance method that did the same thing that a static method in StatUtils
> did. Why we would choose to do that is unclear to me, but it is certainly
> possible in Java.

I wouldn't want to do that, because it would defeat my intent of relieving the
user of having to know whether a method is a class or instance method.  Eric
Pabst mentioned that Commons Bean-Utils has this functionality.  I wouldn't
push to implement it in commons-math yet, but it's interesting to hear that it
can be done.

Albert Davidson Chou

    Get answers to Mac questions at .

Do you Yahoo!?