commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] RandomData and ValueServer Failures . . .
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:37:09 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I appear to "occasionally" get JUnit test failures from ValueServer and
> RandomData Tests. This would appear to be because the mean sampled
> values can sometimes deviate from the expected mean even for 1000 case
> draws, I know this happens "rarely", just enough over the last month or
> so for me to start to notice this behavior. Oldly, when its off, its off
> in a big way, so its not just a matter of changing the tolerance.

Approximately how big is "off in a big way"?  Is it because a pseudorandom
number generator is used dynamically in the test?  I guess I should look at the
test code (which I'll try to do on the train home), but offhand it surprises me
that the tests are ever far off from their expected results.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou