commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: [math] Proposed package structure
Date Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:29:30 GMT

--- "Mark R. Diggory" <> wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
> > I would be open to merging special with analysis, or making it a
> > subpackage.
> I agree on the package structure, I'm a little hesitant to suggest
> placing special and analysis together right now until its clearer what
> the "scope" of each package would encompass.

Special includes numerical approximations to certain useful real-valued
functions used to help numerically approximate distributions in the stat
package.  Both these, rootfinding and interpolation naturally belong to
> Wolfram categorizes these as
> Calculus and Analysis > Special Functions > Gamma Functions
> and
> Applied Mathematics > Numerical Methods
> so it may be good to retain separate categorization to describe the
> scope of each package clearly. Keeping them separate means there room
> for the implementations within those "scopes" to grow in the future
> without any "major" refactoring or restructuring of the packages when
> they get to big. What do you think?
> Also, I now think theres allot more consideration we could put into the
> package structure that relates back to the scope and definition of the
> implementations that are present there. It may be wise to review the
> categorical structure of sites like wolframs and explore similar types
> of organization as templates for package structuring.
I think it is best to think about how users, both mathematical and
non-mathematical, will be able to find things. The proposed structure is a
decent compromise between standard mathematical classification (which would
replace "linear" with "algebra", for example) and what nonmathematical users
might expect.  I think it is workable.