commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Complex dilemmas
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:03:47 GMT
--- "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:
> > Thanks for the input, Roger.  I think for FFT's in particular, we would
> want to
> > profile whether using a complex number class would be fast enough compared
> > using two primitive doubles.  The "Fast" in "Fast Fourier Transform" should
> be
> > preserved as much as possible, IMHO.
>
> Don't waste your time: FFT is actually easier to implement
> using double primitives, it's also likely to be faster, and
> if you really want to get the last performance percent, cache
> locality is a major factor which is even more a point against
> using a Complex class.

Thanks for the commentary!  I've never coded FFT's myself, so I didn't want to
come down too hard on the idea of using complex number objects in the absence
of experience, even though I suspected what you said.

> Study the Great Internet Mersenne Prime search sources for
> an interesting read about the problems (high precision
> number multiplication is basically FFT too).

Cool reference, thanks.  Did you mean "study the source code"?  There don't
seem to be any expositive materials on the subject at their site
(http://www.mersenne.org/).

> I personally found usage of complex numbers only natural for
> certain EE calculations (involving alternate current) and
> advcanced scientific computation. All other areas of financial
> math, statistics, civil and mechanical engineering can do
> quite comfortably without using complex numbers.

That's my general feeling, too.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou