commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] proposed ordering for task list, scope of initial release
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:09:48 GMT
--- Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:
[deletia]
> >>boolean

> >>coding
> >>which
> >>>

> >>+1 (especially the part about your time :-)
> >

> > OK, I'll TDD those up, hopefully resolving the question of what to do about
> the
> > sign of 0 in the process.
> >
> Forgot to weigh in on this.  I would say that 0 is neither positive nor
> negative.  If that is not a happy state, I would prefer to call
> isPositive, "isNonNegative".  I know that is ugly, I have a hard time
> calling 0 a positive number.  So, my first should would be isPositive
> and isNegative both fail for zero, second would be to rename as above.

I tend to agree with you, except for the usage that I wrote sign() for in the
first place.  Granted, that may be an unusual usage, so I'll keep your remarks
in mind while I TDD.  Also, I just realized that I won't be submitting the
Ridders' method code for the initial release anyway (at least as far as I
know), so maybe sign() needs to change, given that it has no users that require
the current behavior.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou