commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] proposed ordering for task list, scope of initial release
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:05:18 GMT
--- Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:
> > --- Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:

My organizational instincts say to put the implementation in stat and delegate
to it from MathUtils.  Probably 99% of actual use will consist of code calling
MathUtils (because no one will bother to learn that the implementation is
really in stat), but until we see a performance problem I'm strongly for
categorizing things as what they are (what they are in my mind, of course <g>).
 Avoiding premature optimization and YAGNI, and so on....

> >>   It would be nice to come

> >>I get the first 3, but what exactly do you mean by the default error
> >>constant?
> >

> > I read that to mean the accuracy requested (aka allowable error) of a given
> > algorithm invocation.
> >

> But why would we ever want to define that as a constant?

I wouldn't, at least not as a global constant.  That's why I suggested we
define an interface that can be implemented by the classes that need this
functionality.  That way we'll have a consistent way to set the value for each
class that needs it.  Currently, Brent's bisection method hardcodes it, whereas
Herr Pietschmann's framework provides a getter/setter pair in an interface.  I
wonder if it's even possible to abstract further and pull the accuracy aspect
into a separate interface.  Accuracy/error _seems_ like a general concept, but
it could be too fuzzy a concept to yield a concrete interface specification.

> >>My philosophy on this is that whatever exceptions we define should be
> >>"close" to the components that throw them -- e.g. ConvergenceException.
> >>  I do not like the idea of a generic "MathException."  As much as
> >>possible, I think that we should rely on the built-ins (including the
> >>extensions recently added to lang). Regarding ConvergenceException, I am
> >>on the fence for inclusion in the initial release, though I see
> >>something like this as eventually inevitable.  Correct me if I am wrong,
> >>but the only place that this is used now is in the dist package and we
> >>could either just throw a RuntimeException directly there or return NaN.
> >>  I do see the semantic value of ConvergenceException, however.  I guess
> >>I would vote for keeping it.
> >

> > I agree that we should have exceptions be as specific as possible.
> > MathException could be an abstract parent for all of the commons-math
> exception
> > classes, maybe.
> >

> I do not see the need for an abstract hierarchy of math exceptions at
> this time.  Of course, I could be convinced of this is someone explains
> why we can't just use or subclass things in java + lang.

I agree; I'm certainly willing to defer decisions about this area for now.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou