commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Complex dilemmas
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 18:27:03 GMT
--- Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:
> > One question that comes to mind is:  "What problems does having complex
> > mathematics solve?"  Basically I am wondering whether we should consider
> how or
> > even if real-world users would employ these facilities before going through
> the
> > exercise of getting them right.
>
> This is a very good question and one that we should *always* ask.  I
> have to confess that I have used "my" implementation only for
> mathematical applications.  I know that there are direct engineering
> applications, but I frankly do not know how common they are in the "real
> world".
>
> It is also troubling that the VNI implementation started out as the
> reference implementation for a JSR that never went anywhere and it is
> clear from this:
> http://java.sun.com/people/darcy/complex-proposal.html#general
> which dates back to dec 2000, that Sun has looked carefully at providing
> direct support in the language, but concluded that it is not worth the
> effort.
>
> Given that it will be a fair amount of work to get a numerically sound
> C9x compliant implementation together (what I have now does not
> implement the transcendental functions at all and does not comply fully
> with C9x), I propose that we drop this from our goals for initial
> release.  If people really want direct support for complex numbers, we
> can bring them in to a subsequent release.

I think removing complex mathematics from the scope of the initial release is
the right thing to do.  Including it will delay the release, and unless we find
we have mathematical/scientific/engineering users out there who really need it,
I don't think most of our audience would even notice if we included it.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou