commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [fileupload] [proposal] lib property in build.xml
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 05:07:31 GMT

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
> > > My proposal  is to change  the reference to  the lib directory  to a
> > > reference to a property so I can override it from my ant call.
> >
> > The problem is that build.xml for FileUpload is generated by Maven, so
> > any change to it will be overwritten the next time it is generated.
>
> I don't know your internals very well.
>
> > I  don't really  understand what  the requirement  is for  Debian. You
> > mention the  classpath, but  I don't  see how that  is related  to the
> > 'lib' value in the build file.  Could you explain in more detail? Then
> > perhaps we can find an alternative way of solving the problem.
>
> 1°  It is  not  acceptable that  a  Debian package  require an  internet
>    connection to be build (they are all built from source and have to be
>    built by  anyone who respect  the dependencies!).  It must  depend on
>    other  packages  and  when  installed,  it  has  to  compile  without
>    problem. So impossible to go to ibiblio!

That should not be a problem. If you look at the 'get-deps' target, you'll
see that it has an 'unless' attribute, so that you can prevent it from
trying to connect to ibiblio. As long as the dependencies are already
available locally, you'll be fine.

> 2° I got some troubles with  my jdk (j2sdk 1.3 from Blackdown[1]) if the
>    directory 'lib' is  in the classpath but does  not exist. Maybe there
>    is a work around.
>
> 3° I have  to define the classpath by hand whereas  there is a directory
>    containing all the installed jars[2].

Note that I have just regenerated the Ant build file using Maven b9, and
the structure is a bit different to what was there before. You might want
to take a look at the new version and see if it meets your needs.

--
Martin Cooper