commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:30:05 GMT
i'm sad to do this (since i think that phil's demonstrated the qualities
required and i'd support a nomination when and if math makes it into the
commons proper) but i think that nominating people for contributions to
the sandbox will cause troubles (sooner or later) and also that it's
against the spirit of the common charter.

as i understand it, the commons is responsible for supervising the sandbox,
  nothing more. the sandbox is not a subproject in it's own right and
exists only to allow apache developers to collaborate. i believe that the
commons can and should only elect committers for its own components.

i also feel that one of the reasons stated by mark for nomination (that we
need him on board to make it to release) is not a good one. we in the
commons are charged by the ASF with supervising the sandbox. if there is
insufficient energy to push a component forwards then there will be
insufficient energy to properly supervise new committers. i'd like to ask
the math developers for a little patience. i'm convinced that commons-math
has a bright future but it will take a little time. i also hope that phil
doesn't take this personally (this isn't anything against him personally
but against the principle of nominating new non-apache committers for
sandbox components).

-1

- robert