commons-dev mailing list archives

From maciek <mac...@pb-network.com>
Subject [PATH]FileUpload fix for filename for msiexplorer
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:46:31 GMT
Method getName() in DefaultFileItem.java class when used with
msiexplorer 5/6 returns a filename with the whole client's filesystem
path which creates a problem when you want to save the file on a
server's filesystem. I have chanaged the implementation of the getName()
method to strip the path information from the filename.Below is my
proposed implementation for getName() method:

public String getName()
    {

         if(fileName.lastIndexOf("\\") != -1){

              return fileName.substring(fileName.lastIndexOf("\\") + 1);

         }else{

              return fileName;
         }
    }

I have attached the fileName_fix_forMSIE.txt patch file.

I have rebuild the entire source code to create a new jar and tested it
with Tomcat and Resin. It works now with MSIE. A simple call to
item.getName() returns only filename where item is of type FileItem.

I think that it would be a better idea to change the implementation of
the method without breaking of the FileUpload component interface than
letting web developers to take care of the problem inside a jsp file.
I think users of the component should use the method transparently
without worrying about the possible problem with MSIE with the guarantee
that ONLY filename will be returned from getName() method.
Regards,
Maciej Brodala