commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Commiter Phil Steitz
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:17:11 GMT
On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 01:46, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> .......................................... i'm glad to say that tim joined
> and has done most of the spade work (good work, tim). it's a credit to the
> commons-math community that the contribution by non-committers has been so
> great. this points towards a healthy future for the component.

Thanks, most of the code contributions have been driven by
non-committers, they are the real driving force behind this particular
component.  As other non-committers (more qualified that I) are
attracted to the project and become committers, I'll take another step
back.  I think it is wise not to rush the process that is used to expand
the community (at least in Jakarta Commons).  Scope definition ->
promotion -> release -> +1 for Phil.  I eager to get to the end of that
list, but I think it is now a prerequisite.

If we wanted to say.... move commons-math to the incubator, then I think
it would be easier to expand the community, but that community would be
external to the existing community here.  Keeping commons-math in the
sandbox increases some of the hurdles, but in the end it will benefit
the community as a whole.

> there are other avenues in apache available for the development of code
> bases - the incubator project or the commons project where the rules and
> aims are different. but commons-math is in the sandbox and we need to be
> careful about remaining within the bounds set.

I agree with Robert here in that commons-math is a Sandbox component and
that we need to be careful to adhere to the rules of the commons
sandbox. ( This is, of course, ironic because I was nominated for
[codec] which, at the time, was a Sandbox component.  :-) )

In other words, I think it'll be a race to see who starts Phils' [VOTE]
thread immediately after promotion (if we get to promotion, that is).