commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: lang.time.* Was: [VOTE] Release of Commons Lang 2.0
Date Sun, 18 May 2003 23:51:40 GMT

Two questions basically.

1) Should lang contain time related code?

2) Is there anything in lang.time which should not go in Lang 2.0?

My vote:

1) Yes. As always I believe that code should mature out of Lang unless it
is large enough to be kicked out before birth. Joda Dates,
http://www.joda.org, helps avoid a need for one aspect of a Commons Time
and as lang.time grows it could form the basis of another Commons Time, or
the bits that don't fit could.

2) DateUtils needs splicing and dicing or just removing.

  i) Various parts are DateFormat related, providing 'standard' patterns.
 ii) Some DateFormatUtils classes to ease conversion.
iii) Limited method to format elapsed millisecond time.
 iv) Calculate phase of moon for a given date.
  v) format Date for SMTP header

None of these seem right for Lang.time and I would like us to just release
CalendarUtils/StopWatch/FastDateFormat.

Hen