commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject [VOTE] Release of Commons Lang 2.0
Date Sun, 18 May 2003 19:26:11 GMT

Our t's are dotted and our i's are crossed, so we'd like to make a
release of Commons Lang 2.0.

[ ] +1   I support Commons Lang 2.0
[ ] +0   Huh? Sure, let me sleep.
[ ] -0   Lang? Sounds bad.
[ ] -1   I hate you guys.

[http://www.apache.org/~bayard/lang2.0/ will contain a preliminary build
of 2.0 and the javadoc for it by the end of Sunday 18th May US/Eastern]

What's not going:
----------------

lang.functor has been removed from Lang. Collections will gain what it
needs and [Functor] will be looked to for the complete functor-style
solution.

lang.reflect is not ready yet.

lang.time is not ready yet.

What's new:
----------

lang.math.* package, which contains Range classes, RandomUtils and a
Fraction class.

lang.util.* package, which contains an IdentifierUtils, for easing IDs, a
Validate class [akin to JUnit Assert in style] and BitField from the old
Commons Util project [as created by POI].

In the top level package, we see a series of additions. There are a set of
reusable Exceptions which provide slightly tighter meaning than their
Commons Lang superclasses, IllegalClassException and
NotImplementedException are examples of these. We also see the addition of
more Utils classes:

ArrayUtils
BooleanUtils
ClassUtils
StringEscapeUtils
StringPrintWriter
WordWrapUtils

What's changed:
--------------

ToStringBuilder has gained an inner class.
builder.* packages have gained new methods
NumberUtils has a series of constants, LONG_ZERO, LONG_ONE etc.
StringUtils has a series of new methods.
The order in which a nested exception is printed has been reversed and a
static legacy option left to reverse it the other way if desired. This
now matches JDK 1.4 direction.

What's gone:

lang.NumberRange is gone as it has now moved into the math subpackage.

The release:

Following a successful vote, the PMC will be notified of the desire to
release and the instructions at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html followed to create a
release. A changelog with 'jardiff' will be included.

Hen