commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [math] mavenization?
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 16:49:33 GMT

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> >I tend to use Maven for new projects, though I think that the maven
> >generated sites are slowly killing Commons as an environment and would
> >like to see some standardisation across the Commons sites.
> >
> >Mainly I think it depends on who is likely to be doing release management
> >and what their preference is. I'm +1 for Maven.
> >
> >Hen
> >

> Just curious and not sure what you mean, "slowly killing Commons as an
> environment" in what way?

Sorry, rushed wording on my part.

Maven, or rather the Forrest skin output of Maven, is not configured to
output the sibling structure of Commons in which every project lists the
other projects in Commons. So once you get into a particular project,
let's say BeanUtils, you cannot see any way up the structure. In fact, all
you can do is goto www.apache.org in that instance.

This is true of all/nearly-all the maven generated Commons sites. It's not
Maven's fault but rather an effect of the slow unorganised migration to
Maven and a lack of requirements for Commons sites.

In effect I think it is turning each Commons project into its own site and
not a series of components that form the Commons site. Another reason why
this is a problem is nothing to do with Maven but to do with the number of
proejcts in Commons. The old-sites are struggling to handle the nearly 40
projects in a structured way.

But it's mainly the maven generated sites which are killing the commons
site. Probably the solution is to redo the front page and enforce that all
components of Commons provide links up to Commons. Maybe we need a
'Jakarta Commons' logo to go in the top left, rather than Apache
[beanutils] or Jakarta [eg DBCP]. Not sure we can fit:  The Apache Jakarta
Commons Project in a nice logo :)

Hen