commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [Lang] proposed math extensions
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 21:32:17 GMT

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> You might be right, but I know I couldn't contribute as I don't have the
> expertise...

Ditto. I'm a mathematician by education, but applied-maths/mathematical-physics.
Stats and Numerical Analysis are the most likely Math package entries and
I didn't work a lot in these areas.

> There is also the question of whether there is a good OSS maths component
> already. http://dautelle.com/jade has some maths functionality - don't know
> how much though.

Not much more than Commons Lang would end up with at the maximum I think.
Complex, Real, Matrix and some Function/Operable concepts to map to
functional programming ideas, a bit like [functor].

I've not seen a good set of OSS numerical-analysis/statistic algorithm
implementations, but it's pretty early days in this area I think. Ronald
Mak's (sp?) recent Number Cruncher book is only the 2nd or 3rd numerical
analysis Java book I've seen and I've never seen one that focuses on a
statistical bent.

However, these people spam me each month with a newsletter and have a lot
listed for Java/Maths:

http://www.mathtools.net/Java/index.html

Hen